Learning the Methods of the 18th-century British Portrait Painters
Instructor: MÆstro Michael John Angel
Dates: 10 - 14 July 2017
Copying master paintings is the fastest way to learn, and the surest way for a painter to improve. In this workshop, the students copy a painting by Gainsborough, Reynolds, Raeburn or Romney, by working from a high quality reproduction that is provided by the Angel Academy. We also study the greyed-red underpainting that was sometimes favoured by these masters.
The 18th-century British portrait painters laid the foundation for such great 19th-century portraitists as John Singer Sargent, Philip de Laszlo, Léon Bonnat and many others.
Mæstro Michael John Angel gives several painting demonstrations throughout the week and teaches the class how to stay in control of the drawing while developing the colour.
Students also receive various pdf and jpeg send-outs that encapsulate the correct methods of using oil paint. These send-outs explain the different grounds, materials and mediums used in oil painting and also describe the various layers used in classic underpainting-overpainting techniques.
Gallery of Workshop Images
Please choose which image you would like to copy during the workshop and inform us of your decision, so that we may supply you with a reproduction of this work.
1. Thomas Gainsborough, Jonathan Buttall, "The Blue Boy"
2. Sir Henry Raeburn, The McNab
3. Sir Joshua Reynolds, Lady Worsley
4. Sir Joshua Reynolds, Laurence Sterne
5. George Romney, Miss Willoughby, detail
6. George Romney, Self-Portrait
A short biography of Mr Angel can be found on the Angel Academy’s website. He is listed in the Art Renewal Center’s Living Masters gallery, and has served as a judge for several national and international competitions, including the ARC International Salon competition (three times), the IlluXCon international competition, and the Portrait Society of Canada (twice). He has also served as judge for la Collection Beaux-Arts Réaliste, 2014.
Early reservations are recommended, as student numbers are purposely limited to allow for a high degree of individual attention.
- Workshop Fee: €1500.00 Euros
- (The cost of some of the materials are included in this price. Other materials, however, are to be provided by the student. A Materials List will be provided on registration.)
- THE FEE includes 5 DAYS TUITION. THE COURSE INVOLVES 30 HOURS OF FULL INSTRUCTION, TOGETHER WITH DEMONSTRATIONS.
NOT INCLUDED ARE: ACCOMMODATION, AIRFARES, TRANSPORT AND ALL OTHER EXPENSES
- RESERVATION & REGISTRATION: In order to reserve your place in the Spring/Summer Workshop Programme 2017 we will ask you to remit a non-refundable/non-transferable deposit in the amount of €1000.00 EUROS for each Workshop chosen.
- Please contact us for the details for making your deposit / payments (non-transferable/non-refundable). We cannot confirm your registration until your deposit has been received.
- Please note that there will be a transfer fee of €20.00 euros added for all transactions.
The non-refundable/non-transferable balance for workshops 2 - 10 must be received by 1st May 2017, for workshop 1 by 15th February 2017.
For registrations for workshops 2 - 10 after 1st May 2017 and for workshop 1 after 15th February 2017, the full fee is requested at the time of registration.
- Final Payment: BALANCE OF PAYMENT OF €500.00 EUROS SHOULD BE RECEIVED NO LATER THAN 1ST MAY, 2017. Please contact us by email for payment details at: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Minimum enrollment requirement for Workshops 1-10 is 5 participants.
- Participants in workshops 2 - 10 will be notified if this number is not reached by 1st May 2017, for workshop 1 by 15th February 2017. At that time, they will be given the choice of either enrolling in another Workshop, availability permitting, or having their deposit refunded.
Participants in workshops 2 - 10 may continue to apply up to 1st June 2017, in workshop 1 up to 15th February 2017, and after that time subject to availability.
- Cancellation Policy: No refunds on any workshops will be given for whatever reason. Any deposits/fees paid are non-transferable/non-refundable.
- Conditions: A FULL REFUND WILL BE GIVEN IN THE EVENT THAT THE ANGEL ACADEMY SHOULD, FOR WHATEVER REASON, NEED TO CANCEL THE COURSE.
- The Angel Academy of Art reserves the right to substitute instructors of any Workshop at the last minute or during the session.
- In the event of the cancellation of any of the above Workshops for reasons beyond our control, we strongly advise participants to acquire travel insurance that covers the loss of any amounts paid for airfare and accommodation.
- Should you require information on accommodation in Florence we have a list available of small hotels which are in walking distance of the school. Alternatively should you prefer to rent or share an apartment we have an agent for the school who will be pleased to assist you. This information will be sent out once you have enrolled in any or all of the workshops.
back to top >
See other workshops >
Spring/Summer Workshop Programme 2017
The following information with * must be filled out
By submitting this form, I agree to abide by the conditions as stated by the Angel Academy and I authorize the treatment of my personal data according to the Italian Privacy act N196/2003.
In order to reserve your place in the Spring/Summer Workshop Programme 2017, we will ask you to remit a non-refundable/non-transferable deposit in the amount of Euros 1000.00 for each Workshop chosen. Please note that there will be a transfer fee of Euros 20.00 added for all transactions. T The balance for workshops 2 - 10 must be received by 1st May 2017, for workshop 1 by 15th February 2017. For registrations for workshops 2 - 10 after 1st May 2017 and for workshop 1 after 15th February 2017, the full fee is requested at the time of registration. Please contact us by email for payment details at: email@example.com
If your browser does not support forms, the Workshop application form can be downloaded here and sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. or Please contact us at the information at left.